The Experts in Air Conditioning Replacement in Saint Paul, MN
If your air conditioner isn’t keeping up with the heat anymore, it may be time to consider replacing it. While it’s a big decision, understanding a few factors before purchasing your new AC unit can save you a ton in both cash and hassle. H2C Heating, Cooling & Plumbing has extensive experience in air conditioner replacement in the Twin Cities metro area. We’ll happily guide you through every step of the process, and we’ll make sure you get all the features you need from your new system.
You’ve performed all the appropriate maintenance and had necessary repairs completed, but your air conditioner is still acting up. Most air conditioners don’t last beyond 10 or 15 years. If your system is older than that, or if it was incorrectly installed, it may be time to replace it with a new one. Here are a few signs to look for:
- Your air conditioner has needed lots of repairs within the last few months. Every time you have something fixed, something else breaks a week or two later.
- The AC unit is making banging, squealing, or grinding noises. The remedy might be as uncomplicated as replacing a belt. However, strange sounds can also be an indication that internal mechanical components are worn beyond repair.
- Your air conditioner model requires the old refrigerant R-22 (Freon, also known as HCFC-22). This refrigerant isn’t being manufactured anymore as of January 1st, 2020. It’s still available through technicians who obtain it from recycled sources, but as time goes on, supplies will dwindle, and it will be more expensive to recharge your AC’s refrigerant (add R-22 to bring it to the proper level). If your air conditioner is still functioning well, there’s no need to replace it. However, if it’s problematic, it might be worth it to change out your Freon-consuming unit sooner rather than later.
- Water is pooling beneath your AC unit. This leakage can be a sign of a clogged condensate drain line, a problem that is easily fixed. Sometimes it’s due to a more severe problem, and the air conditioner must be replaced.
- The AC is giving off strange smells, such as a burning odor, mold or mildew, or dirty socks. In the case of a burning smell, turn off your air conditioner and call an HVAC technician. You may have a burned-out motor or an electrical problem. In the case of mold, mildew, or a dirty sock smell, we can inspect your system and ductwork. If fungus is present, it can be removed by cleaning and handling humidity issues. However, sometimes the mold growth is due to a failing air conditioner, and you’ll need a new unit.
- Your AC is blowing warm air, and despite recent repairs, recharging the refrigerant, and replacing the filter, it has continued to do this. The compressor is probably failing, and the outdoor unit should be replaced.
- Although you’ve been using your air conditioner no differently than last summer, this season, your electric bills have skyrocketed. AC units lose their efficiency over time. High energy consumption is a sign that your air conditioner has lived its life.
Air Conditioner Replacement: Proper Installation
When homeowners begin shopping for the perfect air conditioner, it’s only natural to think about SEER rating. SEER stands for “Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio.” It’s a measurement of how efficiently a unit cools your home or business during a typical cooling season divided by how much electricity it uses during that same season. Choosing a model with the “best” SEER rating can be a little tricky because what’s ideal depends on different factors, such as climate, square footage of your home or business, airflow, refrigerant charge level, quality of ducting, and more. A technician from H2C Heating, Cooling & Plumbing can take some measurements and consult with you to select the best air conditioner for your space.
Correctly Sizing an AC Unit
Although you understand how important energy efficiency is, something you may not be aware of is that the way an AC unit is installed is even more critical than its SEER rating, make, or model. The most technologically advanced, green air conditioner available can do more harm than good if it isn’t correctly installed. What do we mean by this? Air conditioning units need to be appropriately sized for the spaces they cool. An AC that is too small has to work overtime to bring the temperature down, resulting in higher utility bills, breakdowns, and a shorter life. Conversely, an air conditioner with too much power runs in short cycles, never dehumidifies the air, and also uses excess electricity due to all the stopping and starting.
Correctly sizing an AC requires more than knowing the square footage of your home. Certified HVAC technicians perform what’s known as a Manual J load calculation. This is a set of measurements that take into account various factors in addition to the size of the building, such as the number of windows, number of occupants, the direction your home faces, its building materials, the position of walls, and other things. Taking the time to perform this calculation ensures we’ll install an AC unit of the appropriate size, without fail. This vital step allows you to get the maximum cooling power and energy efficiency from your air conditioner.
Professional Air Conditioner Replacement
When it comes to your vital cooling system, you need an HVAC company you can trust. The professionals at H2C Heating, Cooling & Plumbing have over 50 years of combined experience. We’ll spend time gaining an understanding of what you need and want in a new air conditioner. Then, we’ll inspect your home, existing AC, and ductwork. After we’ve taken all the necessary measurements, we’ll be able to recommend the perfect model. We provide both residential and commercial air conditioner replacements in Saint Paul, MN. We’re also proud to serve Burnsville, Minneapolis, and the surrounding areas. Let our friendly, knowledgeable AC technicians make your air conditioner troubles a thing of the past! Give us a call today at (612) 791-0850.
Tired of throwing your money out the window with high energy bills. H2C Heating Cooling and Plumbing can help.
Did your Air Conditioner limp through the last few years? Call us for a Free Estimate.
At H2C we don’t pick a system for you. We help you find the right system for your needs. You may find cheaper, but you won’t find better! H2C Heating Cooling and Plumbing believes not just in low-pressure sales, but NO NO pressure sales.
Go ahead and check around. We at H2C are confident. You won’t find better service with our great pricing. Need an Air Conditioner now! We’ll do our best to get you going. Just shopping we are happy to answer your questions and get you competitive Air Conditioning replacement pricing.
Call H2C today for your no-obligation AC estimate